Happy Friday Friends,
Thanks to Jonathan Woodard, Ryan Huffer, and Ben Doyle… we are now on youtube. Yeah I know, we should have done that a long long time ago… we’ve just been busy!
Let me give you a little background for the video snippet you’re about to watch.
First, the text: Matthew 16:13-19
13 When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?”
14 “Well,” they replied, “some say John the Baptist, some say Elijah, and others say Jeremiah or one of the other prophets.”
15 Then he asked them, “But who do you say I am?”
16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”
17 Jesus replied, “You are blessed, Simon son of John, because my Father in heaven has revealed this to you. You did not learn this from any human being. 18 Now I say to you that you are Peter (which means ‘rock’), and upon this rock I will build my church, and all the powers of hell will not conquer it. 19 And I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven. Whatever you forbid on earth will be forbidden in heaven, and whatever you permit on earth will be permitted in heaven.”
A few observations about these verses:
- Ok, so Jesus asked Peter, “Who do YOU say that I am?”
- Peter did not hesitate…
- Peter did not side with popular belief…
- Peter SPOKE WITH DEEP CONVICTION saying, “YOU ARE THE MESSIAH, the Son of the living God!”
- From the way Jesus responded to Peters answer, we must assume that Peter impressed Jesus!
- Jesus replies, “YOU ARE BLESSED PETER… because your beliefs about me did not come to you only from what you heard other humans saying… no, no, no… you’ve been watching me closely Peter, you’ve been studying my every move… and you have a FIRST HAND REVELATION that my Father has given you about WHO I AM!” (paraphrase)
- As a result of Peter’s unshakable deep conviction, Jesus tells him, “Peter, I am going to build my Kingdom with you… I am going to start my church with the revelation you are housing in your heart!” (paraphrase)
- And Jesus explains that spiritual authority has everything to do with who Jesus IS to each of us! “Because of this FIRST HAND REVEALTION you are housing in your heart Peter, I am giving YOU the KEYS of the Kingdom of Heaven!” (paraphrase)
- So, the question remains, “Who do YOU say that Jesus is?” and “How firmly are you holding that belief?” Because if you’re living on someone else’s relationship with God, you will never be able to experience the Kingdom of God quite like Peter did.
With this brief background… watch the video and add your amazing comments! Oh, and have a most outstanding day everyone! We love you guys in a pretty HUGE way!