Yesterday, I used Skype for the very first time! It only took 5 minutes to set it up… and I chatted with my friend Ren Jones from Cincinnati on Skype video (for free)… so much FUN! You guys should try this!
Are you becoming a stunted shrub or a stately tree?
- Stunted: inferior in size or quality, prevented from growing or developing, scrawny.
- Stately: impressive in appearance, refined or imposing in manner or appearance; befitting a royal court.
Those two words came into my mind as I read from Jeremiah 17: 5-8 this morning…
The stunted shrub
5 This is what the Lord says:
“Cursed are those who put their trust in mere humans,
who rely on human strength
and turn their hearts away from the Lord.
6 They are like stunted shrubs in the desert,
with no hope for the future.
They will live in the barren wilderness,
in an uninhabited salty land.
The stately tree
7 “But blessed are those who trust in the Lord
and have made the Lord their hope and confidence.
8 They are like trees planted along a riverbank,
with roots that reach deep into the water.
Such trees are not bothered by the heat
or worried by long months of drought.
Their leaves stay green,
and they never stop producing fruit.
As we grow and mature in this life, we will either TRUST God more and more or less and less… and Jeremiah described the outcome of these two courses.
- Those who put their trust in mere humans… who reply on human strength… who turn their hearts AWAY from the Lord.
- They will turn out like STUNTED SHRUBS in the desert…
- With no hope for the future…
- They will live in the barren wilderness…
- In an uninhabited, salty land.
- The people who put their trust in the Lord… and make the Lord their hope and confidence.
- They will be like (STATELY) TREES planted along the river banks!
- With roots that reach deep into the water!
- Trees that are not bothered by the heat!
- Trees that are not worried by long months of drought!
- Their leaves will always stay green!
- They will never stop producing fruit!
This message is NOT about one day or one week… or even one month or year. It’s a message about our WHOLE LIVES!
The stunted shrub
Sure, some godless people prosper during certain periods of their lives, in a few isolated fragments of their 9 life equities. But their prosperity is SHORT LIVED.
Even if this person lives his whole earthly existence in a mirage of physical blessing… when this temporary life is over and his whole existence is viewed from eternity… he will appear like a STUNTED SHRUB in the desert!
The stately tree
The person who trusts in the Lord… not just once in a while. The person who really makes the Lord his permanent eternal resting place. The person who lives for God in the good times and in the bad times… in times of abundance and during times of drought. This person, will prosper where it really matters!
And when this temporary life is over and his whole existence is viewed from eternity… he will be seen as a STATELY TREE planted by the river banks, bearing fruit forever and ever!
When our lives are viewed from eternity… what a thought!
I pray todays blog gives you new hope for the difficult seasons of your life. Im not in Gods family for one day or one week… not in this only for some temporary blessing. My roots GO DEEPER THAN ANYONE knows! And when my life is viewed from eternity, I will be seen as one of those STATELY TREES planted along the banks of Gods eternal river! How about you, dear reader? Sounds like a while lot of fun to me!
Please leave your amazing comments and have a most triumphant day!
Dream Big, Live Bold, and Make the Difference!